Open Letter to The Devil
(ROCK radicals are spread out all over 2-3 counties inviting people to attend church with them this Sunday. Our Staff & Team Leaders are jacked up. I choose to believe every ROCKer is pumped about what can happen this Sunday. The sermon will be the heart of the Christian message: What if the Resurrection is true? If there’s such a thing as the “Christian calendar,” this the THE week. That means the enemy of our souls will be working his demons overtime to cause problems for us. Here is my personal note to him:)
Satan (nothing about you is “dear”),
I am sure you hate this week more than any other. Christian churches – even the liberal dead ones – will be highlighting the event that crippled you for eternity. When Jesus rose from the grave, He validated all His claims, and He defeated you in front of all Heaven and Hell. So, … Sucks to be you.
I am equally sure that you will not sit quietly and sulk all week. 2 Corinthians 2 speaks of “not being unaware of your schemes/devices.” Neither are we. I am anticipating in advance the kinds of things you’ll try in order to minimize the impact of Resurrection Sunday at The ROCK and other churches.
- There will be discord among good people. You will plant suspicious, self-serving, divisive thoughts in the minds of people who should love & serve each other.
- There will be distractions. Some will be tempted (& we know who does the tempting) to just slack off and stay away from worship next Sunday. Others will be tempted to overshadow the empty grave with a full “Easter basket.”
- There will be technical issues. The demon that monkeys around with our wiring is very good at what he does. He’s going to be cast into the pit of Hell one day, but he’s good at glitching up stuff for now. I’m sure he’ll be there Sunday.
- You will seek to put carnal, prideful thoughts into the minds of our Team. You’ll tempt us to worry too much about a great “production” instead of focusing on glorifying our risen Savior. And instead of zeroing in on prompting life change among those who attend.
- You’ll level attacks on our marriages, our friendships, even on our children.
- You’ll attempt some health issues as well: My wellness, the voices of vocalists, the energy level of volunteers, the volunteers who’ll be tempted to “call in sick.”
So here’s my personal response: To Hell with you. Now, and eternally. You’re like some poser jock trying to pretend your team hasn’t already been disqualified for the playoffs. Or a declawed, defanged, defeated dragon pathetically trying to bluff somebody into thinking you can cough up a flame here or there.
This Sunday is going to R-O-C-K. I will personally shrug at personality differences and petty crap. I will stay laser-focused on the opportunity we have to magnify Jesus the Risen King. We will expect problems and agree to soldier on in spite of them. If every chord, light, amp, speaker, microphone, and outlet go dead, I will shout in the dark until my voice is totally gone that Jesus is alive. I will spend extra time in prayer for my family and make an extra pre-emptive attempt to bless them all week.
Nothing – and I repeat, NOTHING – you do will keep us from announcing the good news that Jesus is everything He claimed to be … Jesus loves sinners … Jesus rose from the dead … Jesus will return victoriously one day … and Jesus has defeated you.
Very Sincerely, Your Enemy for Life,